Plan Review Application
An applicant shall submit a request for site plan review by
filing an application with the Director, which shall consist of the
- Four (4) initial copies of a site plan as well as other
required data and exhibits (additional 12-16 copies shall be
provided upon request); and
- the review fee.
All required materials shall be submitted not less than three (3)
weeks prior to the Plan Commission’s regularly scheduled meeting.
A site plan shall contain all of the materials and information
listed below prior to its submission to the Plan Commission for
review, unless deemed unnecessary by the Director:
- Project title and street address.
- A written project description including proposed uses of
buildings and site improvements.
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of all
proprietors, applicants, architects, engineers and owners.
- Written proof of ownership or option on subject
property. If the applicant is not the owner, a written
explanation of their legal relationship shall be submitted.
- Proposed time of project completion and phasing
- Site Plan. Site plans shall consist of an overall plan for
the entire development and must be drawn to a scale of no less
than 1" = 30'. Sites greater than three (3) acres shall be drawn
at a scale not less than 1" = 50'. The Director may also request
copies of all plans and drawings in a reduced size format. Site
plans must include:
- Date of preparation of drawings and revisions.
- Location map drawn at a minimum scale of 1" = 2000' with
north point indicated.
- Architect’s, Engineer’s, Surveyor’s, Landscape
Architect’s, or Planner's seal.
- Legal and common description of the site with existing
and proposed lot lines, and dimensions.
- Centerline, existing, and proposed right-of-way lines of
any streets or alleys, and proposed and existing easements.
- Zoning classification of petitioner's parcel and all
- Gross and net buildable area.
- Percentage of lot coverage including existing buildings.
- Sign locations, illumination and size. Refer to the Sign
- Other pertinent features, including entrance details,
decks, porches, fences, flag poles, or other structures.
- All permanent exterior lighting locations, including
ornamental lighting, type of fixtures, foot candles,
mounting height and method of shielding in sufficient detail
to allow determination the effect of such lighting upon
adjacent properties and traffic safety. A manufacturer’s cut
sheet of each type of fixture proposed shall also be
submitted. Except as noted below, lighting fixtures shall
not exceed a height of twenty-five (25) feet. In portions of
a site adjacent to residential areas, lighting fixtures
shall not exceed a height of twenty (20) feet. Building,
ground or roof-mounted lighting intended to attract
attention to the building or use and not strictly designed
for security purposes is prohibited. Temporary holiday
lighting and decorations are exempt from this provision.
- Outdoor trash receptacle location and method of
- Access and Circulation. Site plans must include dimensioned
drawings of all existing and proposed:
- Acceleration, deceleration, passing lanes and
approaches; dedicated road or service drive locations;
proposed locations of driveways, access drives, street
intersections; driveway locations on opposite frontage;
dimensioned fire lanes, including curve radii; and surfacing
- Parking spaces, circulation aisles, off-street
loading/unloading area, stacking spaces, signage and
surfacing materials in compliance with Article 8.
- Sidewalks and curbs and surfacing materials.
- Buildings and Structures
- Location, height, and outside dimensions of all existing
and proposed buildings or structures on the site, with
setbacks and yard dimensions, and of all existing buildings
and structures within one hundred (100) feet of the site.
- Front, side and rear building elevations with all
windows, lights, doors, screened roof equipment and exterior
materials, including color, indicated.
- Utilities, Soil Erosion, Sedimentation Control, and Drainage
- Location, size and design of existing and proposed
service facilities above and below ground, including:
- Water supply facilities including fire hydrants,
water lines and mains.
- Sanitary sewage disposal facilities including
manholes, catch basins, and sewer lines and mains.
- Gas, electric, telephone, fiber optic and cable
lines above and below ground.
- Transformers, generators, utility boxes or poles,
communication equipment, satellite dishes over
forty-eight (48) inches in diameter, and mechanical
- Chemical and fuel storage tanks, transfer lines, and
containers above and below ground.
- Grading plan showing existing and finished contours at a
maximum interval of two feet.
- Drainage plan showing storm lines, storm drains,
retention and detention ponds, existing drainage courses,
proposed method of site and roof drainage, soil erosion and
- Landscaping Plan
- Location and description of all:
- Existing trees with greater than a 4½ inch dbh.
- Proposed landscaping, including berms, buffers,
screens and greenbelts, lawns, shrubs, and other live
- Method of irrigation. Refer to the Vegetation
- Screening walls and fences, including dimensions,
materials and details.
- Additional Requirements for Multiple Dwelling Developments
- Density (dwelling units per acre) calculations.
- Designation of units by type and number of units in each
- Garage or carport locations and details.
- Architectural compatibility with surrounding area. Refer
to Section 5.04.
- Additional Requirements for Commercial and Industrial
- Secondary containment facilities.
- Number of employees at peak usage.
- Location and dimension of outdoor sales or display
- Location and dimension of outdoor storage areas, and
details of the enclosure, including a description of
material, height, spacing and typical elevation.
| Services |
| Business |
Job Announcements |
Home | Site Map |
The City of Ferndale, Michigan
300 East Nine Mile Road
Ferndale, Michigan 48220
City Hall Hours:
Monday - Thursday 8:00am - 5:30pm
Click here to
send your feedback to the City of Ferndale.
This page last modified
All information © 2013 City of Ferndale
Site Design/Development by