Swimming Pool Construction
Swimming Pool Construction Requirements
- Obtain Pool Ordinance No. 594.
- Building, Electrical, and Plumbing Permits are required.
- A site plan is required. For an example of a site plan,
contact the Building Department at (248) 546-2366.
- All pools permanent or portable over 12 inches deep require a
fence not less than 48 inches in height and a self-locking and
closing device on all gates.
- All overhead wires must be 10 feet horizontally away from the
pool edge, platforms, diving structure and observation stands.
- All fences to be grounded with 5/8" x 8' galvanized or
copper clad rod.
- Pool bonding grid #8 AWG solid copper wire not to be broken.
- Wading and kiddie pools must be protected by vacuum breakers on hose bibs.
- Swimming pools must be protected by backflow preventor down
stream from water meter plus vacuum breakers on hose bibs.
- Additional electrical requirements and a detailed diagram are
available by contacting the Electrical Inspector at (248)
Go To Top
Ordinance No. 594
In accordance with City of Ferndale Ordinance No. 594,
the following shall apply:
It is hereby determined that private outdoor pools may
endanger the public safety unless carefully regulated and
Section II. Definitions
- Swimming Pool. Any contained body of water with a depth
of 18 inches or more.
- Wading Pool. Any contained body of water between 12 and
18 inches in depth.
- Kiddie Pool. Any contained body of water with a maximum
depth of 12 inches.
- In Ground Pool. Any swimming pool that is of a permanent
nature, anchored into the ground that cannot readily be
disassembled and moved.
- Above Ground Pool or Portable Pool. Any swimming pool
that is readily disassembled and may be moved.
It shall be unlawful for any person to construct or
maintain a swimming pool or a wading pool without first making
application to the Building Inspector and obtaining a permit
- Such application shall show the name of the owner, the
location of the proposed pool, the manner in which its use shall
be supervised, the safety precautions to be made to protect
those making use thereof, or who might be endangered thereby,
and shall be accompanied by such other information necessary for
the protection of the public health and safety as may be
required by the Building Inspector.
- It shall be unlawful to have unlocked gates in the area of the
- The entry of the pool area by uninvited persons over a fence,
where the gate is locked, will be unlawful and a violation of
Go To Top
- A private swimming pool and its service area shall not
encroach on any front or side yard requirements as established
in the City of Ferndale Zoning Ordinance.
- A six (6) foot screening fence, or an eight (8) foot screening
fence in the event the pool has an elevated deck, must be
installed on the fence lines, unless a
waiver is obtained from adjoining property owners, and is
renewed should ownership of adjoining property change. If
written waivers are obtained, a forty-eight (48) inch fence will
be sufficient. The pool service area may extend to the
property line. No swimming pool shall be located less than
six (6) feet from any side to rear property line or ten (10)
feet from any street property line.
No swimming pool shall be located under any overhead
electrical conductor. Further, all metal fences, enclosures or
railings near or adjacent to such swimming pool, to which bathers
have access, which may become electrically alive as a result of
contact with broken conductors, or from any other cause, shall be
effectively grounded, according to the National Electrical Code and
Uniform Electrical Rules.
- No swimming or wading pools or contained bodies of water over
12 inches in depth as defined in Section II, shall be
constructed, installed, or operated out-of-doors unless it is
located within a fenced enclosure not less than forty-eight (48)
inches in height, above the underlying ground, and shall be
locked at all times in accordance with fence gate and lock
system as defined in Section VIII.
- Kiddie pools need not be within a fenced enclosure, but when
filled, must be attended by a responsible person. Such
kiddie pools must be emptied on a daily basis, for purposes of
safety and health.
- All required fences around pool areas shall be a minimum of
forty-eight (48) inches above ground level and shall be of
- No fence will have horizontal members to facilitate climbing
such as a rail, corral, woven, farm-wire type, etc.
- All fences incorporating gates shall have a self-locking
device opened only with a key.
Go To Top
No person shall maintain an outdoor swimming pool on his/her
premises without providing adequate supervision at all times when
the pool is in use so that no person may be injured or drowned
Any outdoor swimming pool shall not be used unless
adequate public health measures are periodically taken to insure
that the use thereof shall not cause the spread of disease.
The water of all pools shall be sterilized by chlorinated water.
The current standards set by the State Department of Public Health
and the Oakland County Department of Public Health to protect heath
(public) in the use of such swimming pools are hereby adopted and
made a part of this ordinance.
Lot coverage requirements for swimming pool installations
must meet the requirements specified in Article II, Section 2.01 and
in Article XX of the City of Ferndale Zoning Ordinance.
Any person violating any of the terms or conditions of
this ordinance thereof shall be punished by a fine of not to exceed
$100.00 or by imprisonment of not to exceed thirty days, or by both
such fine and imprisonment, or one in lieu of the other, at the
discretion of the court.
| Services |
| Business |
Job Announcements |
Home | Site Map |
The City of Ferndale, Michigan
300 East Nine Mile Road
Ferndale, Michigan 48220
City Hall Hours:
Monday - Thursday 8:00am - 5:30pm
Click here to
send your feedback to the City of Ferndale.
This page last modified
All information © 2013 City of Ferndale
Site Design/Development by